Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Welcome to Gawad Kalinga

Welcome to Gawad Kalinga
""Can you do something for me?" he asked his audience. "Yes!" we said. "Can we all sing the national anthem together?"

In that sunlit pavilion, in a farm where lemongrass is grown, duck eggs are harvested, and goat cheese is made by a community who reap what they sow, we campers stood up, placed our right hands over our hearts, and sang Lupang Hinirang, led by this brown-haired British man with a microphone in his hand.

For the first time in my life, I understood what the song was saying. For the first time in my life, I meant what I was singing. "…Ang mamatay nang dahil sa 'yo." I was willing.

At Gawad Kalinga, we are called to be heroes for our countrymen. It builds on bayanihan, a trait we Filipinos have had even before the colonizers arrived."

No comments:

Post a Comment